Sunday, March 30, 2014

TOW #23: "The AIDS Cure" by Apoorva Mandavilli (via Popular Science)

Reading Goal: Find a challenging (possibly scientific) article to read.

Writing Goal: Work quotes into analysis in a cohesive and less formulaic manner.

     For decades, scientists and doctors have been searching for a cure for AIDS, and until recently, nothing promising was found. In the Popular Science article entitled "The AIDS Cure," Apoorva Mandavilli, a science journalist with a special focus in biomedicine and infectious diseases, discusses the few cases of cured AIDS. She strives to inform readers about how HIV/AIDS works, and how it can then be cured. Since she is writing about a rather complicated subject to a general audience of teenagers and older, Mandavilli uses diagrams and an extended analogy to inform readers about how AIDS works and possible cures for the disease.
     The case that Mandavilli focuses on for much of her article is that of Timothy Ray Brown, a patient who had both HIV and leukemia. When Brown received a bone marrow transplant (for his leukemia) from an HIV-resistant donor, his HIV disappeared. When explaining how this works, Mandavilli writes that an HIV-resistant cell, "[c]alled CCR5-delta32, [is] a mutant form of CCR5, a receptor that HIV needs to gain entry into one of its well-known targets, CD4+ T cells." However, this explanation is, as Mandavilli evidently realized, a bit confusing to the average reader, so she includes a diagram on the facing page. The diagram provides a color-coded drawing of HIV cells attaching to a T cell, along with simpler explanations, such as: "Immune cells that carry a mutant form of CCR5 don't allow HIV to bind." By offering a visual and simplified explanation of what she is describing as well as a scientific one, Mandavilli effectively includes the entirety of her audience, from teenagers to professional scientists. Through this, she is able to achieve her goal of informing readers about how AIDS works, regardless of their level of understanding.
     Mandavilli again gets into complicated territory when she begins to explain how Brown was cured of AIDS. To help readers understand, she uses an extended metaphor of HIV-infected CD4+ T cells as cars. One of the main problems she discusses is the idea that many HIV-infected cells are hidden in "reservoirs" rather than in the bloodstream (on the highway), so it's hard to predict how many are in the body. She writes, "[i]n the analogy, this means that cars are idling in garages, waiting for an opportune moment to pull out." The concept of a reservoir of cells may be confusing to some readers, but everyone can understand the concept of cars hidden in garages. Later, Mandavilli addresses the ways doctors have tried to get rid of reservoirs, such as the "shock and kill" method. She explains that this essentially works to "lure the cars out of the garages and onto the highways, and then blow them up." By using an analogy that is concrete – that readers can picture – Mandavilli effectively informs readers of any understanding level of a technique for curing AIDS.
     Since Apoorva Mandavilli knew the diversity of her audience well, she was able to employ tactics such as diagrams and extended analogy to inform readers of how AIDS works and how it can be cured. She provided technical explanations for readers who could understand that, and then offered the rest of her audience simpler explanations. That way, everyone understood what was going on, and Mandavilli effectively achieved her purpose. Aside from being a successful informative article, "The AIDS Cure" just goes to show how important it is for speakers to fully know their audience.

How HIV Invades Cells – And How to Stop It:
This diagram, found in "The AIDS Cure," is color-coded and simply labelled, which allows readers to better understand what Mandavilli means when she describes the mutant cells.

10 comments:

  1. I am ROSA

    from Texas USA, I can't

    stop thanking DR

    Worrior Africa for the Great

    thing that he has done in

    my life, I am so greatful

    to him, i was suffering

    from HIV seizures and

    kidney failure when i

    contacted DR Worrior Africa

    after reading the

    wonderful testimony that

    people has been sharing

    about him, when i

    contacted him, he assure

    me that he will cure me

    with his herbal medicine

    which he really did, and

    i am now completely cured

    from HIV seizures and

    kidney failure. What will

    i say rather than

    thanking him for saving

    me.

    Why suffering in

    silence when there is

    remedy to your

    deseases.Dr Worrior Africa

    also specialize in curing

    the following desease:

    *Hiv/Aids

    *Kidney failure

    *Arthritis

    *Diabetes

    *Hypertension

    *Stroke

    *Obesity

    *Infertility/Impotency

    *Cancer

    *Eye Problem

    *Skin Problem

    *Fibroid Tumor

    *Ulcer

    *Prostate Problem

    *Asthma

    *Weight Management

    *Gonorrhea/Staphylococcus

    *Candidie

    *Low sperm can

    *wick erection

    *Wick ejaculation

    e.t.c

    For more information

    contact Dr, Worrior Africa
    via email:

    (drworriorafrica@gmail.com) or call +2348112276982

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
    2. I was diagnosed of herpes 3 years, and ever since then i have been taking treatment to prevent outbreaks, burning and blisters, but there was no improvement until i came across testimonies of Dr. VOODOO on how he has been curing different people from different diseases all over the world, then i contacted him. After our conversation he sent me the medicine which i took according to his instructions for up to 2 weeks. After completing the medication i went back to my doctor for another test and the virus was all gone and i was completely cured, since then i have not had any signs of outbreak. I'm so filled with joy. With herbal medication Herpes Virus is 100% curable. I refer Dr VOODOO to everyone out there with the virus Email: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com Add Dr voodoo on whatsApp +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who help me in my life. I was infected with HIV virus in the 2010,i went to many hospitals, churches for cure but there was no solution out, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that i cannot loose my life, I lost everything I have my husband run away from me and also took my children along because of my sickness. One day I was in the river side thinking the next step to take if it is to jump into the river so that I can loose my life totally or just think where I can go to get solution. so a lady walk to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to him telling her my stories, she told me that she can help me out that’s the reason she normally come here to help people so that thy can be cured because she was into this problem before, she introduce me to a doctor who cast spells on people and gave me his number and email so i called him and also email him. He told me all the things I need to provide and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening he called me and told me that i should go for an HIV test and which i did as he told me and the result was negative. so if you are also heart broke and also need a help you can also email him at dr.ukpoyanspellhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello i am Jessica Morgan from united kingdom let me share this testimony to the world to hear about him too this man really exit I was HIV positive over 9year I have being in medication and I try to look for cure to my problem and I go through internet doctor and I found a tradition doctor named DR.Ekpiku I contacted him for help he give me all his laws and rule that if I get cured I should write about him and that is what i'm doing now, this man ask for some information about me, which I give him this man cure me from HIV what a great man thank for your help when he get the information he told me that he is about to work on it 20 to 30 minute this man email me and told me what to do for the curing which I did after all the things needed for the cure is provide the man call me in 24 hours later and tell me to go for test what a great day to me I was negative thanks Dr.Ekpiku contact him email address, ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@hotmail.com or ekpikuspellhomeofgrace@gmail.com THESE ARE THE THINGS Dr. Ekpiku. . HERPES . HIV/AIDS . CANCER. weak erection and premature ejaculation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day My Name is Mike mougar i am here to share a great testimony of my life i was cure from HIV by a Doctor Name DR CUBA i have been HIV for 5 year i saw doctor Email on the internet so i contact him and i explain to him i follow up the instruction behold 6 days later after taking the cure i went for a HIV text to my surprise it was Negative my family doctor was surprise my husband who abandon me was surprise my brother if you no that you are positive please i will advise you to contact him now and see for your self his Email is drcubatemple@gmail.com why is website is......[ www.dr-cubatemple.webs.com] and also you can contact on whatsapp +2347038965900

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melinda

      i live in USA i bought the herbs that cured me of my hiv from Dr Barasa of barasatemple@gmail.com which was sent to me through a courier service after i sent payment as agreed i took the herbs as directed and was totally flushed off my HIV virus. Dr Barasa of barasatemple@gmail.com is a life savior and i am more than happy i never ignored the testimony i read about him which led to my contacting him you can also reach him through his email barasatemple@gmail.com there is no shame in sickness but pain i wish you total restoration as i am free

      Delete
  5. I'm maria cooker , I contracted HIV in 2009, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARV's, My CD4 was 77 and viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. amadu, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and I took it for 14 days after then I went for check-up and I was cured. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also cure ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES, DIABETES and lots more.You can reach him on dramaduherbalhome@gmail.com. or dramaduherbalhome@outlook.com. or call/Whatsapp [+2349052645237]

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am Harry Grace from New york, USA I can't stop thanking DR Olori for this Great thing that he has done in my life, I am so grateful to him, i was suffering from HIV virus for 11years, when i contacted DR Olori after reading the wonderful testimony that people has been sharing about him. I have being on medication and trying looking for cure to my ailment. I went through internet doctors and i contacted a Tradomedical/Traditional doctor named, Dr. Olori for help. He give me all his rules and regulations,that if he cured me that I should write about him on internet site and that is what I'm doing now. He assure me that he will cure me with his herbal medicine which he really did, and I'm now completely cured from HIV virus. What will i say rather than thanking him for saving me. Why suffering in silence when there is remedy to your diseases.Dr.Olori also specialize in curing the following disease: *HIV/Aids *Kidney failure *Arthritis *Diabetes *Hypertension *Stroke *Obesity *Infertility/Impotency *Cancer *Eye Problem *Skin Problem *Fibroid Tumor *Ulcer *Prostate Problem *Asthma *HPV*Gonorrhea/Staphylococcus *Herps *Low sperm can *Weak erection *Weak ejaculation *Pile *Elephantiasis *Skin Infection *Paralysis e.t.c For more information contact Dr.Olori via email:(dr.olori32@gmail.com) What'sApp number:08149470344

    ReplyDelete
  7. How can i ever stop saying thank you to Dr Movo, After taking his product today my sexual life is health and balance am living up to my wife expectation. For the past 11 years i have been struggling with weak erection and premature ejaculation. I have spend money on it but no cure until i took this product from Dr Movo just within few days i got cured. for his products contact him email drmovo.supernaturalherbalmedic@gmail.com or WhatsApp/Call +2347061865209.

    ReplyDelete