Wednesday, February 12, 2014

I'm a Stranger Here Myself Introduction (IRB)

     When journalist Bill Bryson moved back to the United States after living in the UK for nearly twenty years, he was, as he writes, forcibly made to write a weekly column for an editor friend back in London. I'm a Stranger Here Myself is a compilation of those columns, which describe American life from the point of view of a (virtually) British person. The specific topics include normal parts of life like going to the post office or seeing advertisements that Bryson has managed to turn into hilarious stories, simply because he can look upon them with a different perspective than we can as Americans.
     I chose to read this book because it seemed to be an interesting topic – after all, we think our everyday routines are normal, but they may seem absolutely alien to an outsider. Also, it was cited as being hilarious, and given that my two previous IRBs were somber and scientific (respectively), I decided to change it up a bit. Hopefully this book will open my eyes to the differences between American life and British life, as well as giving me a new perspective on things I view as normal. Also, I expect it to simply be entertaining as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment